S: While fall will always be my favorite produce season, summer is where the produce shines (literally). Sunny days bring out the best of gardens, plants and produce alike, being an essential vitamin they- and us- need to live. If you’re looking for me on a weekend, you’ll most likely find me at the farmer’s market, walking through a rainbow playground of beautiful fruits and vegetables. A foodie/health-nut’s Disneyland in other words.
Being blessed with amazing farmer’s markets here in Seattle, we are also blessed with the awesome produce delivery service Imperfect Produce. We are so excited to partner with Imperfect Product and combine our love of eating local and sustainably in this recipe that uses pretty farmer’s market and “ugly” produce. Among the abundance of burgundies and candy colored reds burning bright among booths, the amount and types of cherries and cherry tomatoes seem never ending this time of year. After having my fair share of caprese salads and seeing enough of the traditional cherry cobbler, rarely are the two combined. But then I thought, well, why not put them together?! The meeting of sweet and savory comes together in a humble (slice of pie…or should I say cobbler) way that highlights the wide range in variety and flavor that these deep red fruits (yes, tomatoes are fruits ) keep us loving all summer long.
I chose dark cherries because they have a richer and more intense flavor and color, which becomes a beautiful deep scarlet once baked. And if the color doesn’t grab your attention, cherries are full of super good antioxidants, help reduce muscle pain, and promote better sleep. Mix that with vitamin-packed cherry tomatoes and a delicious, healthy crust ( because let’s be honest, that’s the only part we eat) and you have the perfect summer recipe you’ll want to make —and eat—again and again.
Serves: 5-6 people
1 lb dark cherries (pitted)
1 cup Imperfect Produce cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup almond milk
6 tbsp butter or coconut oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with butter or coconut oil.
3. In a large bowl, toss the pitted cherries with the cherry tomatoes ( I sliced them in half), honey, and vanilla. Pour into the baking dish.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter ( or coconut oil), and using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until pea-sized crumbles form. Add the almond milk and mix until a dough forms.
5. Using a large spoon, dollop the dough over the fruit, spaces and imperfections encouraged. Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling at the center, about 35 minutes.
6. Transfer the cobbler to a rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving with your favorite vanilla ice cream (we love Frankie & Jo’s!).